Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Anyone for seconds?

This is my favourite dessert.

Bread Pudding (serves 6-8)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 11x7 baking dish or an 8x8 square pan.
  • 12 slices white bread
  • 6 tbsp softened butter
  • 1/2 cup apricot jam
  • 6 tbsp currants
  • 2 cups creme anglaise (recipe follows)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Trim crusts off bread (optional) and spread one side of each slice with butter & jam. Arrange six bread slices, buttered side up in the dish. Sprinkle with half the currants. Repeat with remaining bread and currants (make 3 layers in the 8x8 pan). Combine creme anglaise with the egg and salt. Pour evenly over bread. Place in preheated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, until custard is set and top is golden brown. Serve.

Creme Anglaise (makes 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 3/4 cups light cream
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, beat sugar and egg yolks until mixture is thick & lemon coloured. Mixture will fall from whisk like ribbons. Beat in cream until blended. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure eight pattern (not sure why this is important) to prevent lumping, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon - do not boil. Strain custard into a slightly smaller bowl than the ice bath. Set the custard bowl atop the ice bath to stop the cooking. Keep stirring for 5 more minutes until the custard is cooled. Stir in vanilla.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

4 Comments:

  • Wow. This may force me to buy white bread.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:44 AM  

  • I'm trying to cut down on sugar and you're killing me! Bread pudding is my favorite too. I think TK has the recipe for my chocolate version, if the combination interests you.

    By Blogger BS, at 9:31 AM  

  • I don't think white bread is officially required - I think that a wheat or multi-grain would be delish with the apricot flavour, as long as you could cut it yourself to the appropriate thickness. And I never remove the crusts. I've also been known to butter both sides of the bread. Ahem.

    I haven't tried making chocolate BP yet, although I have several recipes. When I consider it, something just doesn't appeal, but if I had YOUR recipe, bs, I'm sure it would be divine. Perhaps TK would blog it?

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 10:15 AM  

  • BS's chocolate bread pudding is absolutely amazing. Sadly, I don't think I have the recipe. Perhaps you could blog it?

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home