Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Diagnosis: OFD

I've been surviving for the last 18 months with one makeshift file drawer - a stand in a large desk drawer holding the files I don't use on a weekly basis - and a similar stand holding current files on top of my desk. I realized last week that that the current set-up just wasn't going to sustain the addition of files for 2006, and that I wanted more horizontal space anyway.

I ordered a small, two drawer cabinet to fit between the giant wood desk and the wall. After an inexplicable delay (are file cabinets now made to order?) it arrived, and the Scottish Cowgirl held my hand while I installed the cheap plastic handles, sustaining a mere two screwdriver injuries. It is a sign of progress that neither the cabinet nor my hands were broken during the operation.

Next, I organized the files into hanging folders in a logical manner, which, for the FG means by frequency of use. So far, we have Events, Committees, Board, Campaigns, Monthly Reports, etc. The files are filed and the annoying little hanging folder tabs are typed (yes, on a typewriter) and installed.

And yet ...

My desktop remains the same (albeit cleaner). This is because I am unable to let my 6-7 frequent flyer files out of sight. There is ample room in the cabinet, I just ... I just want them handy. So they're back in the desktop stand, which takes up exactly the same amount of room as it was before, but now holds half the original files.

I'm thinking Obsessive Filing Disorder? It's not as though they'd really be less accessible at the front of the top drawer, and I'm too young for Alzheimer's, even early onset.

Perhaps, by the end of the week, I'll have learned to let go ...

Note: this post was commissioned by East Coast Guy - I may entertain further commissions on a whim. Contributions to Shuesday are also welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home