Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, August 13, 2004

Naomi Klein makes me happy

"Last month, I reluctantly joined the Anybody But Bush camp. It was "Bush in a Box" that finally got me, a gag gift my brother gave my father on his sixty-sixth birthday. Bush in a Box is a cardboard cutout of President 43 with a set of adhesive speech balloons featuring the usual Bushisms: "Is our children learning?" "They misunderestimated me"--standard-issue Bush-bashing schlock, on sale at Wal-Mart, made in Malaysia.
"Yet Bush in a Box filled me with despair. It's not that the President is dumb, which I already knew; it's that he makes us dumb. Don't get me wrong: My brother is an exceptionally bright guy; he heads a think tank that publishes weighty policy papers on the failings of export-oriented resource extraction and the false savings of cuts to welfare. Whenever I have a question involving interest rates or currency boards, he's my first call. But Bush in a Box pretty much summarizes the level of analysis coming from the left these days. You know the line: The White House has been hijacked by a shady gang of zealots who are either insane or stupid or both. Vote Kerry and return the country to sanity."

Read on.

BTW, doesn't it just make you crazy when TV shows subtitle "foreigners" speaking English? We don't subtitle Bostonians, southern Californians or Arkansans, why would we subtitle people from Bombay, Ghana or Yorkshire? Because we don't think our tender ears can handle their accents?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home