Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

You can be stylish or a patriot ...

But possibly not both. Bear with me, I'll get to the point soon. Seasonal sweaters have always been one of my pet peeves, (along with matching children/mother-daughter outfits, but that's another bloggable moment), and this country does them like no other. And today, the WA Post has a QVC rated- story in their Style section called Rhinestones are a Girl's Best Friend. I'm not kidding. To wit:

Jeanne Bice, maker of sequined Christmas tree sweaters and promoter of year-round good cheer, creates clothes for women who are always celebrating one thing or another, the sort who decorate for Thanksgiving with little Pilgrim salt 'n' peppers.

Bice's zest for life is reflected in her use of rhinestones, which appear on a line of knit tops and stretch leggings that have proved popular on the QVC shopping network. Last year she sold $50 million worth of clothes, and her company is considered one of the network's top apparel lines. On the set of her show recently, Bice is wearing a black top smothered with sequins and a pair of rhinestone candy corn earrings she happens to be selling for Halloween.

First of all, there shouldn't even be a WA Post Style section. I mean, let's consider how the women of DC dress and do their hair. It's certainly a style ... as in, all the same style. Perhaps the newspaper section is a relic from the Kennedy era? Still, in what galaxy are stretch leggings considered stylish? They must be mocking the entrepreneuring lady. I adjusted the sensitivity on my irony meter, but caught not a whiff in the entire article. Although it didn't take the FG to point out the prime market for these singular items:
She says her customers tend to be from the Midwest, like her -- positive, patriotic people, intent on changing "the world one smile at a time."

Patriotic? The FG reserves the right to stand up for those who consider themselves patriotic and know that they don't have to wear blue denim stretch leggings with a rhinestone studded star at the left hem to prove it.

9 Comments:

  • Oh, see, the WaPo Style section has nothing whatever to do with style. Its mission is to make sure the paper wins a Pulitzer for art criticsm every so often, and that's where the architecture critics hang out.

    As an actual DC resident, I can back up your statements about DC style. It's a little known fact that the Beltway actually doubles as a traffic nightmare and a shield to repel advances in fashion.

    It's all so sad.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

  • Wow, Amanda, I'm glad I toned my entry down - it was much harsher when I started. Let me see if I can find the divide between the sarcasm and the non - since I don't know you, I hope you'll bear with me.

    I enjoy the WA Post, and applaud them for their Pulitzers, but the Style section is a hodge podge of horoscopes, Ricky Martin, travel features, and book reviews, and that's just today's issue. At this level of journalism, if they can't do it at a level that is relevant to their purported readership, they should focus on art and architecture, and leave the fashion to those who know whereof they speak.

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 11:14 PM  

  • Ayyyyy! The Manolo he did not see this most amusing posting before he wrote about the holiday sweaters.

    The great minds they do indeed thing alike.

    The Manolo he must link!

    By Blogger Manolo, at 12:54 PM  

  • The FG is just honored that the Manolo is aware of her existence. He is truly the ne plus ultra of the fashion/footwear blog scene. Merci!

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 1:30 PM  

  • Why is it that fashionistas speak of themselves in the third person? The Colin finds this somewhat amusing.


    Hmm. I think I need a flashier name.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 PM  

  • Actually Robin Givhan, the single fashion writer at the post, was i thought fairly snide about the whole. She's usually much worse- she savaged ice-skating or gymnastic costumes a year or so ago and got a huge amount of hate mail.

    ...that said they're usually very light on style itself and I think ms. givhan is lucky they pay for her to travel to the paris and milan shows every year because other than the sunday source people, it's clear the rest of the newspaper doesn't car. But I do love the WashPost regardless.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 PM  

  • Arg, the WaPo, how I love it, how I loathe it.
    As a Beltway resident, I can truly say that DC deserves its rep as the worst-dressed city. Stodgy, conservative, sneakers-with-suits...ugh! I came here from the South with visions of couture in my little head--what I got was Anne Klein and Talbots paired with Keds. It's a tragedy, I tell ya.

    (PS, This article is so timely, as I stood behind a woman at the bank yesterday wearing an atrocity of puff paint and glitter in a "Southwestern" theme. Little puff-painted jalepenos and stars, fading down into a glitter-painted watercolor-esque sunset complete with the requisite wolf. In a size 22, no less. My eyes, they bled.)

    By Blogger littlemissme, at 7:16 AM  

  • I've always wondered why the crazy clothing lady, Jeanne Bice,is always wearing a headband. She certainly doesn't appear to be in any danger of spontaneously exercising. Have you ever had the unfortunate experience of turning on QVC during her show? It's like watching a car accident in slow motion. Women, nationwide, eagerly making poor fashion decisions...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:54 AM  

  • I hear she is a member of the body modificaition church and that she has had some little horns implanted or something. That is what she is hiding under the wacky headband. She looks like the sort of lady who makes you feel cornered when you are a little kid. I find that a scary thought.

    Anya

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home