Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, December 18, 2009

Oh the Places You'll Go: Toronto (via Amsterdam)

Well there's no place like home for the holidays.



The FG had a truly fabulous journey from the snowy hills of EDI to Toronto, via everyone's favourite capital, Amsterdam. I have been particularly good this year, and Santa must have told the people at KLM, because when I checked in online 30 hours before the flight took off, I was inexplicably able to reserve an exit row on the short flight and a business class seat for the AMS-YYZ leg. Everyone was /very/ pleased with themselves. I read silly magazines on the first leg, and my current book, and quickly found myself in Sin City. Confined to the airport, of course, but still.

There are endless, and endlessly stocked, duty-free shops at Schiphol (where it was also snowing). Honestly, I found it all somewhat overwhelming, and was therefore quite well behaved. Still, it was fun to look around. For security reasons, we all had to go through security again immediately prior to boarding, which no one enjoys, but the machine that shoots rays at you to determine your level of terrorist intentions wasn't working, so at least it was just a normal x-ray machine. And it was in the second waiting area that I ran into a girl I haven't seen since high school graduation. She was in Amsterdam giving a speech about the work she'd done in post-war Bosnia (wow), and we were on the same flight home.

Business class is a good thing, especially on long flights - but you knew that. There was endless leg room, tons of space in the overhead compartments, the seats were wide and of the fully reclining variety - it was wonderful. There was sauvignon blanc and my meal (some airlines are still serving food, it turns out) was quite edible. I watched The September Issue (which I had unconscionably missed in NYC) and The Young Victoria (which was not particularly good). I started watching Che, but decided that sleep wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Am now ensconced at home for the maximum 10 day period, and am looking forward to frolicking with friends and spending quality time en famille. Happy Holidays!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home