Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, February 22, 2008

Wait for it: Smith's

I know you know there's a foodie post coming about my trip with The Scot to Gordon Ramsey at The London, but I've been putting Smith's off long enough, especially as I've been twice and am likely to go back.

On the first visit, we were seated close to the door, but the thick velvet curtains kept me well protected from the wintry draft. East Coast Guy thought I'd have a better view looking down the dining hall - it's been accurately described as a rail car - but as it turned out, all the cool people were standing by the door, waiting (they do take reservations), including Ali Larter from Heroes, with her mom (or someone pretending to be her mom). We began with Arugula with Gala Apples, Parmigiano Reggiano and Hazelnut Balsamic Vinaigrette, and Steamed Fall Beans with Lemon Olive Oil and Garlic. We proceeded to Pan Seared Chatham Cod with Black Pepper Tagliatelli and Gremolata*, Boneless Pork Chop with Celery Root and Apple Purèe and Braised Pork Cheeks, and concluded with Warm Apple Pie with Caramel and Ginger Ice Cream. The food was fantastic, especially the cod and the pie, and the service was warm and attentive, but never annoying.

On the second visit, I arrived early and headed to the bar in the back to enjoy a cocktail. I'm not a big fan of bourbon, but as I'm sure you know, I love maple. So I ordered The Smith, a combination of bourbon, maple syrup and lemon on the rocks (now that would be much tastier than the master cleanse). I asked the bartender to almost double the maple, and it was just fine. When the table was ready, I was seated by Ms. Cindy Smith herself, who asked me how I liked the cocktail - apparently they named it after her as she hails from the Bluegrass State, but she doesn't actually enjoy bourbon, so she'd never had one. I told her I preferred rye (unblended), but that it was fine.

This time, we started with the Charred Cape Cod Baby Squid with Lemon Confit, Olives and Pancetta, added the Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds (which were absolutely the best best best ever, hands down), and the Roasted Eggplant with Piquillo Peppers, Raisins and Sherry Vinegar, and then had the Line Caught Wild Striped Bass with Flageolet Beans and Guanciale** Stew. The Brussels sprouts were shredded, instead of served whole, and were just insanely beautifully flavoured and seasoned. Ms. Smith stopped by again, to see how things were, and we raved. And then East Coast Guy asked permission to comment on a dish we hadn't enjoyed quite so much, the eggplant. He politely and candidly said that it seemed overly vinegared, that otherwise it was fine, but was just a little piquant for our liking. Instead of snooting up, Ms. Smith was perfectly gracious. She thanked us for letting her know, said that she'd read that in a review or two, but that those aren't always balanced, as it were, and promised to let the kitchen know and make a change right away. And she bought us a round of drinks! That's a restauranteur.

We concluded with the Warm Chocolate Brownie with peanut butter mousse and candied sautéed peanuts. The peanuts were to die for. And we went home happy.

*Gremolata
**Guanciale

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home