Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Outerwear options

A new, real winter coat was one of the first things I bought when I arrived here last year. Not having lived through an East Coast winter in a decade, I went with simple. It is long, black, boring wool, and it got me through the winter. But it only has three buttons, so it flies open in the winds of Lower Manhattan, it's not warm enough for the really cold days, it's not waterproof, and besides, an FG needs options.


The Pastry Chef took pity on me and came coat shopping with me during the Macy's one day sale this weekend. Truly a supreme act of friendship. And we found one that met all the requirements - puffy, but not in the Stay Puft sense, covered zipper, cozy wrists, knee length, water resistant - except price, but we did what we could on that count too.

Before we got to the coat we knew we were buying, we hit a few other stores, and I am now in a conundrum. The off white coat to the right is beautiful. It is shorter than my boring black wool coat, and would be great with pants.



But. There is always a but in these situations. There was a woman at the store also trying on coats, and she was wearing this. This has a gorgeous collar, and a hidden flounce, and it looks so good on - at least it did on her - it looked like a gorgeous party dress.

This was not even on the agenda. And do I really need to quadruple my coat wardrobe in one week? Anyone?

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

  • I have no restraint, so I'd be a bad influence! I would probably end up getting two new coats --definitely the puffy one, and either the off-white or the red (which one would depend on my wardrobe).

    Fun!

    By Blogger Rainster, at 5:47 PM  

  • I'm not a good one to ask either...I tend to overdo it with coats. I would vote for the puffy AND the red.

    By Blogger WendyB, at 7:32 PM  

  • More coats!

    I have, um, three winter coats here. Brown wool, puffy work coat, and black wool almost a dress with gorgeous movie star collar. I don't begrudge any of them closet space.

    By Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal, at 10:11 PM  

  • Love the red and fully endorse buying at least two of the three shown.

    I don't miss winter, but this post is sort of making me miss lovely outerwear.

    By Blogger BS, at 12:09 AM  

  • Lovely ladies! The puffy coat has been purchased (and worn today). The question is between the other two. I do have a birthday coming up ... plus the holidays, but still.

    Perhaps the thing to do is to splurge on the red and wait for the winter white one to do on sale?

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 7:42 AM  

  • That makes sense to me. You have a whole host of holiday events coming up where the red one is clearly the only choice. The white one can wait until later in the season.

    By Blogger Mary Robinette Kowal, at 7:47 AM  

  • I'm voting to add the red. For the next six months, people will see more of you in your coat(s) than anything else. At least you'll have something to feel good about between the apartment door and the sidewalk, until a blast of wind wipes the good cheer right out of you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 AM  

  • I second mm's vote for the red...and for the same reasons.

    By Blogger BS, at 2:05 PM  

  • the red one! it's beautiful. i was in a similar conundrum this fall, and bought this in cream:
    http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/product.do?cid=24374&pid=526715&scid=526715012

    hope that link goes through!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:25 PM  

  • try this:
    http://tinyurl.com/3bprle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

  • ooh, I keep coming back here to look at the red coat. I LOVE it!!! I wonder if I'd actually get to wear that in Seattle...

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 9:12 PM  

  • But surely you'll be on the East Coast for the holidays, no? TK, you could definitely wear it on that one day in a Seattle winter when it doesn't rain ...

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home