Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'd like the truffles on the side

Reading Frank Bruni's review of Graydon Carter's re-launch of The Waverly Inn (in Greenwich, CT) this morning, the reference to the $55 macaroni and cheese with shaved white truffles (also the most expensive entree) reminded me that people have been saying, "It's so expensive there." in reference to moving to NYC. Well, it is and it isn't.

Rent is, of course, at least twice as much for less space. That's just the way it is here. Moving from a state without state income tax into a state and city with income tax cuts into the pay check considerably. Monthly transportation costs ($76 for an unlimited 30 day Metrocard) are more than I've ever paid, but I use public transit at least three times as often as I used to, and I no longer have a car payment or insurance fees. I'm prepared to say at this point that groceries - from the basics to the extravagant - are more expensive, but it's not as though anyone has room for food in their aforementioned small spaces, so who cares. Wine is also more expensive, and predominently French or Italian - I'm trying to see this as an opportunity to learn (anything) about old world wines.

Eating out is about the same, I swear. You do it more often (especially when you couch-surf for three months), but breakfast and lunch on the go don't cost more. Yes, this is a town of fantastic restaurants, but people don't eat at Gramercy Tavern every night, just as we didn't eat at Zoe or Mistral regularly. And take-out is a) far more available, and at any hour, b) just as good (although I can't find baingan bhartha anywhere), c) served in enormous portions, and d) cheap cheap cheap. And the same principles apply re: going out. Just because there are a zillion things to do here doesn't mean New Yorkers are rushing from avant-garde plays to masterpiece-filled museums to trendy gallery openings to fantastic bistros eight days a week. Their life expectancy would plummet.

Come to visit, and I promise to plan a moderately expensive weekend full of activities. In the meantime, I'm taking it easy. No need to do everything in the first few months.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home