Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Carbo-loading

Living in other peoples' houses is fascinating. I've done it off and on over the years, visiting friends for a weekend, or home for longer spells. And now I'm in the middle of 3 months of couch-surfing. The good news is that we're 95% certain there's a room of one's own to move into mid-February.

But in the meantime ...

When you're staying with people for more than a few days, they invite you to make yourself at home, and when you're house-sitting, that's part of the job. The latter scenario likely involves opening cupboards, as you've been told you're welcome to their contents. (I should say at this moment that I cooked last night for the first time in over 6 weeks, so please don't assume I've been helping myself to other people's heirloom sundried tomatoes, XXXXX-virgin olive oil, or secret truffle stash.) But the contents of said cupboards are something to behold.

The Fabulous Parents have the condiments market completely covered - jams, spreads, mustards, sauces, and bottle after bottle of salad dressing. This is a result of the Fabulous Father's inability to purchase only one of anything if it is a) on sale or, b) cheaper by the case. An excellent strategy when it comes to good wine, not as sensical vis a vis salad dressing in a household of two. The Scottish Cowgirl and The Cookie Monster once made the mistake of asking for spices from friends on a trip to India, and will never again need to purchase a cardamom pod. The Scot has an unrivalled collection of obscure liquors - I know because I helped move them. Others (I'm told) shop at Costco to assuage their limitless appetite for chocolate milk, and therefore squirrel away 120 child-sized boxes at a time behind closed doors.

In my current location, the residents are carbo-loading (this is belied by their very slender figures). There are boxes of pasta everywhere. Not oversized boxes, just normal boxes of Barilla. I count four on the shelf in the kitchen and 15 at first glance in one cupboard. If you know me, you know I'm capable of exaggeration, but this time I'm not kidding, I actually counted 15 boxes, without moving anything.

Is there a coming pasta shortage I don't know about?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home