Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, April 21, 2006

Sweater or Straitjacket?

I kid you not, the Aussies are soliciting sweaters for their fairy penguin population.
Jumpers are being knitted especially for our fairy penguin population. The clothing is used when the birds have been exposed to an oil spill, absorbing the oil off their feathers and keeping the animals warm in the meantime.

Follow the link for a supply list and instructions.

The same article also linked to a recent Vanity Fair photo featuring not one but two women sporting belted sweaters. Not buttonless cardigans with attached knit belts to keep them snuggly, but actual (pleather?) belts worn over elongated cardigans. Environmentalists have enough fashion issues without falling into this trap. To wit:
But ladies ... can we talk about the Mary-Tyler-Moore-style sweater belts? Did this get trendy when I wasn't looking? Cause I don't care if your belt is made of bamboo and crafted by workers in a well-paid Guatemalan peasant collective, sweater belts is fugly, and I'd hate to see such lovely, talented, committed e-gitators end up getting fugged.

ABC Australia
Grist Magazine

4 Comments:

  • My mother used to knit leper bandages (she may still do for all I know) which I guess is a similar idea... so are you going to knit a penguin jumper?

    Also, that photo is so unbelievably adorably cute.

    By Blogger Colin, at 7:13 PM  

  • OMG penguin sweaters! So cute!

    Leper as in leprosy? Really? Wow.

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 9:48 PM  

  • I'm generally opposed to clothing on animals, although in this case, I guess it's a solution to a problem we created ... I'm in the middle of several projects for human babies at the moment, so probably not, but I'd be happy to teach you to knit if you're so inclined.

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 12:00 PM  

  • That is SO CUTE!!!!!!!

    By Blogger Rainster, at 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home