Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Things You Don't Know About Me

I retrieved my baby book from storage today, (in search of family tree information for the Fabulous Family), and took the opportunity to flip through it. In addition to being amazed at the time and energy my mother put into it in the days and years following my birth, I was shocked to discover that I reached the height of 5 foot 7 inches at age 12. OK, 12 and a half.

My first thought was that I'd only grown an additional 2-3 inches in all the years following, which makes my growth seem a bit hasty in the first place (although fits with my tendencies towards impatience and competition). Secondly, I can't quite believe that I've been this tall for this long, and yet I continue to trip and walk into things on a regular basis. (Another argument against intelligent design.) And finally, it seems a little strange to think about the people I know who are fully grown adults and who are still shorter than I was at age 12. And a half. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying.

I'm not going to bore you by recounting the times I wished I was shorter and when I realized that I was going to be OK with my height (not that there's anything to be done about it). I just didn't quite realize how early it started, that's all.

And now I have to go put things back on the top shelves in my kitchen. Without a stool.

2 Comments:

  • My sister was about that height by age 12 or 13, too, I think. (She's 5'10" now, and will not be wearing high heels for her wedding.) She says it's always weird to meet women as tall as her, because she's not used to looking at them at eye level.

    By Blogger Rainster, at 2:19 AM  

  • I cannot even imagine being 5'7", let alone at age 12. And, like you (except in the exact opposite way), I used to wish I was taller, but am mostly okay with my height now.

    Except I would like it if pants weren't always too long. And if I could use the top shelves.

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home