Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Take That, Chuck Klosterman

Hank Stuever addresses our Lloyd Dobler fetish:
Two Valentine's Days ago, in the Style section, it was discussed at great length why women still think about Jake Ryan -- the cool-mannered, Porsche-driving, completely fictional hunk from the 1984 teen flick "Sixteen Candles." ... it turns out, for every one woman with a residual Jake Ryan thing there are maybe 100 with a persistent Lloyd Dobler fetish. Those women wrote in, too, extolling the character played by John Cusack in the 1989 movie "Say Anything." Heaps of devotional words have been written about Lloyd Dobler. The early stages of a popularized Internet seemed to exist for people to make Lloyd Dobler references, and Lloyd Dobler tribute pages that linger ("Last updated on July 1, 1997"). Anyhow, here is your sequel, '80s ladies: Lloyd Dobler rules over Jake Ryan.

"Jake Ryan is dessert, and Lloyd Dobler is like the vegetables you need," says Sasha Johnson, 29. "Lloyd Dobler ruined men forever. I can't take total credit for this, an ex-boyfriend said this to me once. He contended that Lloyd Dobler's boombox moment became the pinnacle of romance -- the standard that no man could ever meet no matter how hard he tried. I've always loved Lloyd Dobler and have grown to appreciate him more as the years have gone on . . . the guy in high school that no woman wanted but ultimately now the kind of man we want to marry. He had that right mix of self-assuredness, sensitivity and geekiness. He was willing to make an insanely bold gesture to get the woman of his dreams back -- something every woman wishes could happen to her."

3 Comments:

  • He was willing to make an insanely bold gesture to get the woman of his dreams back -- something every woman wishes could happen to her.

    I think this is inaccurate. It's something every woman wishes would happen to her - from the right guy. I'm sure, more often than not, a guy who a woman never wants to see again will make similar gestures and be tagged as obsessed, creepy or stalker-ish. It's not enough to make the gesture; you also have to be the right person.

    By Blogger Colin, at 7:34 PM  

  • hmmm.

    I've been told I'm naive, but ... don't you think if you were the wrong guy, you'd know? I mean, Diane knew she was wrong to break up with Lloyd, and he knew it too. Also, her break up was so unconvincing - hence the gesture. Also, I don't think guys make fools of themselves very willingly - would Joe Guy make such a gesture if he didn't really believe it would work out?

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 8:19 PM  

  • I dunno, I mean, how else do you explain stalkers? Or guys who don't get the hint? I think the stalker mentality is something like, "I just need to show her how much I love her. I just haven't done enough to let her know that I'm the right guy for her." That opens up a lot of opportunities for these kinds of unwanted gestures.

    I don't think it's common, by any means, but there's a flip side to the wonderful, romantic vision of the gesture.

    By Blogger Colin, at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home