Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Valentine's Day: All Shacked Up

You probably know your partner well enough to choose an appropriate gift/event for the occasion, or perhaps you're so established that you plan something together. Be extra appreciative that s/he stuck around, at least for the occasion.

It has also been brought to my attention that there are people, especially those in longer term relationships, who don't celebrate Valentine's Day. Perhaps they don't enjoy the inflated flower prices, crowded restaurants and the Hallmark sense of the day. By all means, if it's not your thing, boycott away.

5 Comments:

  • Ha! Is this about me?

    I fear I was way too grouchy the other night. And we DO celebrate Valentine's Day, just not in the traditional sense (we have dinner at home and I got Nate a bunch of fancy-ish beer that he wouldn't normally buy for himself).

    So I am sorry for my anti-Valentine's Day rant thing the other day.

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 3:36 PM  

  • Not at all - my mom said almost exactly the same thing when I talked to her yesterday - of course she's been married for 40 years, so her situation is a little different. And it is ridiculous the way the marketers pitch February 14th as a magical opportunity to propose/make up for all your previous missteps/ find the love of your life. People should celebrate when and however they choose. As long as they celebrate sometime. I was just going with the pop cult-flow.

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 3:51 PM  

  • Personally, I think the chocolate manufacturers are behind it all... ;-P

    By Blogger Rainster, at 6:51 PM  

  • I am decidedly anti-Valentine’s Day…and not in a bitterly single way. Frankly, it makes me a little sad that we need a holiday to show people we love them – I’m more of the gifts and kindnesses for no reason type. But I’ve been enjoying your Valentine’s series FG! I would also argue that we shouldn’t need Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, but wouldn't dream of telling my mother that!!

    P.S. I have it on good authority that important objects (read: art) were bumped off of cargo flights from Amsterdam so that all of the overpriced V-Day flowers could arrive on time. Maybe I am a little bitter about that.

    By Blogger BS, at 10:59 AM  

  • While trying to find an e-card to send a friend, I came across this.

    By Blogger Rainster, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home