Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Through no fault of my own ...

I'm having mimosas for breakfast for the second day in a row. I've linked to this recipe because it's 33 years old, but please, I beg of you, do not include the ice cube. Ice should never be added to wine, and if your OJ and champagne come out of the fridge, you won't need to add ice. Mimosas are a long-standing family tradition for holiday brunches, chez FG. The key is decent but not expensive champagne, and really good OJ - the FG recommends Odwalla.

Somehow, I managed to get Raging Bull & Goodfellas via Netflix on the same weekend, which, as the Scottish Cowgirl reminded me, calls for marinara sauce for dinner tonight. So I'm researching, so far with little success, (ack! I lent my basic pasta cookbook to Trivial Kate! Some combination of this and this will probably do), but I wanted to share this amazing recipe for arrabbiata sauce from Centro's in Toronto. If you don't have a food mill, use a sieve.

Penne all'Arrabbiata
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 28 oz cans plum tomatoes, drained
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 lb penne
salt & fresh ground pepper
Parmesan cheese

1) Heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook for 25 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt & fresh ground pepper. Cool slightly and pass through the finest disc of a food mill (or sieve), into a second saucepan. Discard seeds.
2) Return puree to medium heat. Add hot pepper flakes & simmer 15 minutes over low heat, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
3) Cook pasta, toss with sauce and serve with cheese.

2 Comments:

  • Nothing wrong with mimosas 2 days in a row! I had a ton Friday night, and then Saturday morning at work. But it's such as Easter brunch drink in my family....

    By Blogger Rainster, at 7:30 PM  

  • See, it started with Xmas, then popped up at Easter, Mother's Day brunch, Fourth of July ... it's a slippery slope when it comes to champagne.

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home