Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, October 12, 2007

Oh the Places You'll Go: Texas

From vacation in Los Angeles, I went straight to work in Austin, Texas. Blissfully, the flight was as advertised.

Austin was just as hot as Palm Springs, but with five times the humidity. It is the live music capitol of the US, an excellent town for BBQ (Texas does brisket, pork ribs & sausage), and the home of a state capitol building that is intentionally taller than the national capitol building. It is also a deep Blue pocket in an otherwise (currently) Red state.

The troops gathered for dinner at Fonda San Miguel. Much needed mmmargaritas, creamy corn soup, chile relleno de espinaca and tres leches for dessert. The following day was spent indoors in an all day meeting - and when I say all day, I mean 9-6. We opened a well deserved bottle of wine when it was over, and then headed to quick change and attend the Texas Freedom Foundation's Gala & Silent Auction. Jeans were everywhere (although apparently skinny jeans haven't made it that far south) and the thin band of sequins on my top was no match for the glitter already present. The food was less than fantastic, baguette sandwiches, crudites, but a good time was had by all.

Sleeping in was the order of the following day, but we headed out of town for the best BBQ in town at The Salt Lick. It's byob and picnic tables, live music and fresh lemonade. Go go go. And so I went went went to Houston that afternoon to the Magnolia Hotel, in the historic district. Much more my style than the Courtyard Marriott, bless their hearts (yes, I have accent creep). I went to Sambuca for dinner, just down the way. Live music - a traditional jazz band that evening - and absurdly dark lighting - darkening, if you will. The gorgonzola and pecan salad was delish, although served in a bowl that kept tipping over. The dual tuna appetizer that was my main was less successful - the seared tuna was well prepared, but the spices too saucy, and the tartare was like tuna salad - all mayo. Lunch the next day was at Onion Creek Coffee House (Houston trying to be Austin, I was told) in the Heights. And then I went back to Austin, stopping for pecans at Tobias on the way.

Back in Austin, I had planned to visit Stubb's, but they're closed Mondays, so I ended up at Kenichi, which wasn't bad - am considering seeing if I can consume sushi in every state I visit like my co-worker drinks wine from every state. On Tuesday, I managed to visit the Eastside Cafe for lunch, buy boots, and get to Stubb's for not so great bbq (in my inexperienced opinion, under-salted and burnt-tasting) and great live music.

And on Wednesday I came home, bless my heart, after a short and completely inexplicable delay in Raleigh.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Consuming sushi in every state might be a bit more treacherous than wine. Sushi in Arkansas? In Idaho? Apparently, it does exist, but I'm not sure I'd trust it anymore than I'd trust a taqueria in North Dakota.

    By Blogger BS, at 10:52 AM  

  • Fortunately, I didn't get Arkansas, and I'm not sure when I'll be in Idaho - although in that case, perhaps there are formerly-interned Japanese there? And it's not far from the o-see-an ...

    And there's definitely Mexican in Fargo (http://www.123fargo.com/get/mexican/)

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home