Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Utopian marketing: NY style

First, let me admit that I am two and a half weeks behind on my New Yorker reading.*

Nevertheless, it's hard to miss TWO articles in three weeks featuring a woman named Celerie. Celerie Kemble (the 32 year old interior designer/decorator and society figure), is married to a man named Ravenel Boykin Curry IV (and I get flack for having friends with German names!). The good news is that she's retained the Kemble, rather than risk being confused with the delicious but little known Thai dish, celery curry.**

Celerie and Boykin are establishing a Huff-Po style utopian retreat in the Dominican Republic that they claim will become the 'new Hamptons' - apparently the flight from NY to the DR is shorter than the wait on the Long Island Expressway. The article in the Times drops all the names I'd want on my island getaway, and there's no need to repeat them here. Nor will you care that there are a group of 30 something blonde women decorating ridiculously expensive NY and Palm Beach apartments in a style they're calling 'Edgy Traditional" (exqueeze me?).

*(This is where you say, admiringly, 'Is that all?', and I say, 'That's all, AND, I haven't been on vacation since New Year's.' Because I generally take 3-6 on the plane and leave them here and there for my fellow travelers. You're welcome.)
**(OK, it also contains fish.)

1 Comments:

  • Actually, she goes by Celerie Kemble Curry, which sounds like an example of fusion cuisine gone terrible wrong.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home