Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Edinburgh musings

Well, now that I've been on the original side of the pond for a full 5 days, I have several items to report;
  • If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes. I have experienced downpours, violent winds, rainbows, mist, and sunlit blue skies, all in the space of a single day.
  • It is, as reputed, somewhat damp and cold, but there are unending pots of tea to consume, which helps.
  • Every beer has its own style of pint glass (with the possible exception of the seasonals). Seriously, a Peroni comes in a different glass than a Heineken, comes in a different glass than a Deuchars, comes in a different glass than a Hoegaarden. Amazing. One suspects US bartenders wouldn't put up with that - clearly they're not taking their beer sufficiently seriously.


  • Many flats feature a room known as a "box room" - this is not a room in which to store boxes, it is a room without windows. I cannot imagine it, but apparently some people use them for bedrooms. I'm thinking storage, cat litter, etc.
  • Most doors seem to open inwards, into the shop from the street (except those that do not). Ages ago, The Scottish Cowgirl told me that doors in the States to rooms holding more than 25 people must open out, in case of fire. Clearly that doesn't apply here.
More to come, I'm sure. Meanwhile, the flat-hunt continues!

Photo from ePints.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • Yes, I found that first bullet point to be the truth! And I'll have to come there for a visit so I can study the beer issue more closely.

    By Blogger WendyB, at 2:38 PM  

  • Though I'm fairly sure that the uppity beer places in SF and Berkeley do this different glasses for different beers thing, I think I need to go to Edinburgh to compare the practices.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home