Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Trends to avoid: belting it out

Having survived a summer in NYC - and one that was mild according to the locals - and preparing to head into another, my sleeveless tops and skirts are all in order and there are more dresses in my closet than ever. I don't think I wore pants even once during the day in July or August last year. It's dressing for the subway platform, or the un-air-conditioned restaurant season.

I agree that summer clothes need movement - tailored pants don't cut it - but the baby-doll dress of prior seasons is now taking its toll on tops - I tried several on this weekend in sizes small and xs, and they were ridiculous. And the dresses get bigger and bigger. The last thing I need is people thinking I'm pregnant.

Which brings me to the ubiquitous belt. Thank you, SATC,* for belting absolutely everything in the damn movie, but I'll pass. It doesn't look comfortable, I don't want a heavy piece of leather sitting on my hips, and how many belts would I need to belt all my outfits? There must be something between mat-wear and exterior corsets.

If you love the look, you're welcome to try to convince me ...

*of course, I also couldn't pull off the tight/shoe combination here either ...

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • I wouldn't go so far as to say I love the look, but I do like it and I do wear it. Here's why: I have broad shoulders, an ample chest, and an athletic backside. I also have a waist. Not only does the belt tamp down a voluminous top to show that I am (most happily!) not with child, it brings the eye to the smallest part of my torso. In 2.6 seconds, a belt takes me from lumpy to hourglass. It also provides an opportunity to throw in a dab of color/texture and a bit of polish. Cranberry snakeskin over beige. Black patent over electric blue.

    That being said, I am in the midst of this total crush on 40s style blouses with defined waists and even a little peplum. Same effect minus the heavy leather.

    Or, you could go the route of the dress with a waist. Martin + Osa has a lovely sleeveless shirtdress with pintucks that I've been eyeing for myself.

    By Blogger BS, at 3:10 PM  

  • I am not a belt person either.

    By Blogger WendyB, at 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home