Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, September 14, 2007

Sari Safari?

One of my oldest and dearest friends is getting married this fall and it's a costume wedding. As in, the groomsmen will be dressed as centurions.

I kid you not.

As it happens, I will have just returned from a 10 day trip to Palm Desert and Austin, TX (a little vay-cay, followed by a little work) and will then turn around and get on another plane to go to the wedding. I needed to find something packable, flattering, and fun. I shared this news with The Blue Fairy, saying that I was thinking of going as a flapper. She, graciously and immediately, offered to lend me something to wear from her collection of vintage clothing. Le sigh.*

Uptown I went (late as usual), and she began to unveil the collection. There were many beautiful dresses, including a gold ball gown in which she glows. But when the sari came out, I knew it was the perfect choice. She taught me how to wear it (referring me to this helpful website as the wedding isn't until October), and made me do it twice so I wouldn't forget. And then she fed me delicious lentil soup, which was both the only and the most yummy thing I'd eaten all day. So happy to have she and The Vintner in town.

All this reminds me of the time I spent with Masako and Hatsue, learning to dress myself in my wedding kimono. (Which would be too bulky and complicated to transport and besides, no reason to have two brides at a wedding, that just makes it confusing.) They were lovely women, and so excited that I was going to be married in kimono.

*thanks for letting me borrow a pet phrase as well!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • We must have photos of you in the sari!

    By Blogger Colin, at 10:47 AM  

  • Color? Accents? Shoes? Pictures yes, but a hint??? =)

    By Blogger Rainster, at 8:13 AM  

  • I'm sure pictures can be arranged.

    The sari is hand loomed, in burnt orange silk with a red pattern punctuated by green pea-sized dots. And of course there's a top border of red, green and black.

    I will be wearing a pair of indian-esque earrings and simple gold sandals with a small heel and ankle strap - the ones I wore to the BoR Dinner last year.

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home