Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Umm, Ewww!

Did you know that 'a number of the nation's finest libraries' have books in their collections covered in human skin?
The practice of binding books in human skin was not uncommon in centuries past, even if it was not always discussed in polite society. At the time, the best libraries belonged to private collectors. Some were doctors who had access to skin from amputated parts and patients whose bodies had gone unclaimed. In other cases, wealthy bibliophiles acquired skin from executed criminals, medical school cadavers and people who died in the poor house. Nowadays, libraries typically keep such volumes in their rare book collections and do not allow them to circulate.

Fascinating, if a wee bit gruesome.

2 Comments:

  • My alma mater had such a book!

    I always made sure to mention it on the tours. (Yup, I was a tour guide.)

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 8:38 PM  

  • And duh, if I had clicked on the link I'd know that you knew about Brown's book.

    I think it's gross, but also kinda cool.

    By Blogger UW Nutrition, at 8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home