Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Friday, January 06, 2006

Dipping a toe into the pool of meme literacy

The Blue Fairy inspired this, although The Scot provided the original introduction (& was patient with me as I struggled to /get/ it.) Do play along.

Page 123 Meme

The rules:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal (&/or in the comments) along with these instructions.
5. Don’t search around and look for the coolest book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.

Mine ( fortunately I was returning a book to a co-worker today) is:

"That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard," she said sharply, putting sugar in her cup and stirring it.

From The Historian - which was surprisingly good. And what a great opening sentence for a short story! My hidden creative writer is tapping her foot ...

7 Comments:

  • I like this game and find a certain irony in my sentence:

    "All of us were moved by what Reagan represented."

    It's from the decidedly UNcool Andrea Mitchell memoir that has been sitting beside my bed for months while I read other things.

    By Blogger BS, at 4:17 PM  

  • Mine is:

    "In a way it was sort of depressing, too, because you kept wondering what the hell would happen to all of them."

    It's from Catcher in the Rye, which really was the closest to book to me.

    Am I just slow? I don't get it... Then again it's also 3 am...

    By Blogger Rainster, at 3:07 AM  

  • OH... I just realized, it's not "meme" the French word. GOT IT now!

    By Blogger Rainster, at 3:11 AM  

  • Am now having flashbacks to a dinner discussion at my sister's graduation. Sociology majors, biology students, and psychology kids should not mix and talk about some things...

    By Blogger Rainster, at 3:15 AM  

  • Yay for memes & meme-sheepage!

    Mine is from Wake Up, Sir by Jonathan Ames:

    I sat on the white couch, crossing my legs at the knees, trying to affect a Douglas Fairbanks Jr. pose.

    By Blogger Colin, at 11:45 AM  

  • I love it - so VERY Colin.

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 2:14 PM  

  • It's kind of an amusing quote, too, because it's an excerpt from the novel that the main character in the book is working on - so the whole "novel within a novel" thing. But the novel that the character is writing bears an uncanny resemblance to the author's previous book as well. Very meta.

    By Blogger Colin, at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home