Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Ten is the loneliest number

Camarooned is running a top ten love songs poll or query or something - I've been cautioned by Cookie Monster about inappropriate use of the word /meme/ - and there has been much debate. But the main issue seems to be the impossibility of choosing just 10. I made my list, and then realized that
  • it has 12 songs, and
  • that I'd forgotten to include 'All I Want is You', which has long been a fav, and 'You're Beautiful', which is new and surprisingly surviving relentless overexposure (at least for me - thanks Rainster.)
But which to remove? I am aware that three songs by one artist is a little much, but can't decide which to give up and didn't even include 'Untouchable Face' ... which really falls into the anti-love category, along with 'Best of You' and 'I Can't Remember'. Perhaps we can make a two CD set?

7 Comments:

  • Ah, but doesn't this limit of ten when you want fifteen get to one of the core tenets of love, namely, that you sometimes you just have to let go?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:22 PM  

  • Um, no. That would indicate that monogamy doesn't work for you... ;-)

    By Blogger Rainster, at 5:32 PM  

  • Shit, what does it mean if you pick 20?

    I have trouble making any kind of music related lists because they always wind up way too long. I did manage to keep mine to one song per artist though.

    By Blogger Colin, at 5:36 PM  

  • I think I'd find it hard to pick even ten songs!

    By Blogger Rainster, at 6:30 PM  

  • But if I had to, they would be...
    1. Fools Rush In – Elvis Presley
    2. Grow Old With Me – Mary Chapin Carpenter
    3. Hallelujah – Rufus Wainwright
    4. And So It Goes – Billy Joel
    5. A Man is in Love -- The Waterboys
    6. Walking out of Stride – Badly Drawn Boy
    7. Flying Without Wings -- Westlife
    8. Find a Way to My Heart -- Brown Derbies
    9. Memphis -- Richard Thompson
    10. Cry – James Blunt

    I can explain Westlife! Let’s just say the song was #1 on the charts at a very crucial time in my life…

    By Blogger Rainster, at 7:01 PM  

  • I really thought I wasn't going to do this, but here I am admitting to my geeky, yet eclectic music taste.

    1. Nocturne, Op. 9, No. 2 in E flat major - Chopin
    2. A Song for You - Donny Hathaway
    3. She's Every Woman - Garth Brooks
    4. Comfortable - John Mayer
    5. Let It Be Me - Rosie Thomas
    6. The Very Thought of You - Ella Fitzgerald
    7. God Only Knows - The Beach Boys
    8. Come Rain or Come Shine - Ray Charles
    9. How High the Moon - Diane Reeves
    10. The Heart of the Matter - Don Henley

    By Blogger BS, at 9:11 PM  

  • I just realized my #1 (which was in no particular order, btw) should be titled "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You." See? I'm the opposite of Colin -- I'm a music slut!

    By Blogger Rainster, at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home