Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Emmys 2009

A few thoughts:
  • Why must Tina Fey always wear black at awards shows? Didn't she get the red gown memo? She'd look great in red!
  • Ooh, Duckie. I re-watched Pretty in Pink recently, and it's lovely to see him honoured after so long.
  • Please don't cry through your acceptance speech. Really. Although great dress, KC.
  • Why do celebrities wear glasses at awards shows? Is this really the night to give your eyes the night off from your contacts?
  • Toni Collette looks great. Why do they keep dressing her up weirdly when she's playing characters on TV?
  • Why, even on awards shows, is Serena the pretty one (although that hairstyle is a little "guest starring on Star Trek") and Blair is the smart one? Although BL not being able to read the teleprompter helps with the stereotype. I'm also channeling Snow White and Rose Red.
  • The problem with dividing the evening into "genres" is that, for those of us who were distracted by the football and DVR'd the show, the temptation to fast forward through the reality TV section is almost overwhelming. Particularly when there's a dance performance. Really? Because, in case you hadn't noticed, those have almost been eliminated from the Oscars ... It's so sad to see what people will do to keep awards shows "relevant".
  • Can't believe Padma and Tom didn't win for hosting "Top Chef." They gain /weight/ for that show, bitches.
  • Speaking of weight, in terms of wearing dresses that fit, which is key, did someone inflate Patricia Arquette before she went out on stage tonight? Terrible breast/dress combination.
  • Ooh! Nathan Fillion!
Can Neil Patrick Harris just host everything from now on? Please?

  • Next time Jessica Lange and Drew Barrymore work on a project together, Drew should get JL to wear makeup, and jewelry, esp. on television, and JL should get DB to wear colour. Drew does /not/ look good in flesh tones. JL - great dress.
  • Maybe I missed a "nude lip" memo? I definitely got the "red dress" memo, but the problem with nude kips for a telecast is that it makes you look like you forgot your lipstick.
  • Brian Williams is cementing his position as someone for whom I would like to make a very elaborate dinner, and host in my home. Love that guy. There are few talking heads who have such an exquisite sense of humour.
  • I am starting to think that Justin Timberlake is competing with the President for the overexposure award of 2009. Not that anyone is complaining, on either count.
  • Must re-watch Hugh Jackman's opening number to the Oscars last year, and not only because Rachel Zoe's last episode was all about the drama of finding a second dress for Anne Hathaway's part.
  • The thing about the "In Memoriam" segment is that it always makes me remember how quickly the year has gone, because, whilst I remember the passings of those who have left us in the last two to three months, those who have gone before always surprise me. Which leaves me feeling sad and slightly guilty. Any chance I can blame the media?
  • I feel as though Matthew Weiner just made everyone in the room hate him. Complete creative freedom, my ass.
  • Yay Glenn Close! Surely I will get to see Damages season three someday soon.
  • Sigourney Weaver - great dress. Elizabeth Moss, bad dress and bad accessories.
And that's the way it was.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Don't you know? Glasses make them smart!

    By Blogger WendyB, at 9:43 AM  

  • If only that were the case ...t

    By Blogger fabulous girl, at 12:49 PM  

  • You've successfully made me miss cable. Thankfully it arrives in the new apartment on Saturday.

    Without having seen the Emmy's, I have this to say in response.

    - Tina Fey often wears red to do her Sarah Palin impressions, so perhaps the color has been tainted for her.
    - Snow White and Rose Red was one of my favorite fairy tales and may in fact be what made me fall in love with my dark hair at a young age.
    - "Bitches"? Sounds like you've been spending a lot of time reading WendyB, which is always a good thing.
    - I'll watch anything NPH does. Anything.
    - You're right, as usual, about Drew and the flesh tones.
    - And "Sigourney Weaver - great dress"? This I must google.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home