Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Oh the Places You'll Go: Chicago

Wednesday took me back to Illinois for another set of meetings, beautiful weather, and excellent meals. We began with a barely acceptable Bellini at Naha (I wouldn't go back), and then hit our stride at Ben Pao for far better cocktails and appetizers. Then off to the favourite Cafe Iberico for delicious sangria and tapas style entrees including gambas al ajillo and the pulpo a la plancha. Grilled octopus is my new universal favourite.

Thursday was a work day, with lunch at Cafe 28 and a busy afternoon. MK was the scene for that night's meal, and the service ranked it in my top two restaurant experiences of all time. It wasn't just that we were well taken care of. The staff were seamless in their attention to detail, and we never felt hovered over. The food was good, but we agreed that there was at least one unnecessary ingredient in every dish. Grilled octopus again, this time with fava beans, romesco and braised baby leeks, and a soft shell crab with lemon almost-curd, tomatoes and capers. Like I said, one too many ingredients. Then it was on to peppercorn crusted yellowfin tuna seared rare, spinach, shiitake mushrooms, garlic whipped potato, red wine syrup, and roasted rack of berkshire pork, mustard greens, fingerling potatoes, and whole grain mustard natural pork jus. All with a bottle of my favourite New Zealand sauvignon blanc, Cloudy Bay.

Friday featured lunch at a Chicago institution, Miller's Pub, where I had a surprisingly good grilled swordfish salad (passing on the world famous bbq Canadian back back ribs, and not just because I was wearing a cream suit). Then I spent the afternoon in the sun at The Terrace at Conrad, sipping champagne cocktails. Dinner took us out to Devon Avenue to Tiffin for fantastic Indian food, with Kingfisher to wash it down, of course.

Saturday morning I picked up a softball glove, packed up my things and walked the Magnificant mile through Millennium Park to the Art Institute for a whirlwind tour before heading to O'Hare for the trip home.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home