Fabulous Girl's Boudoir

Monday, September 26, 2005

You want a piece of my heart?

Yes, Loverboy. Who knows why I have Working for the Weekend in my head, ... except that it's Monday.

Saw Proof this weekend, which was excellent, although if I have to suffer the embarassment of explaining to one more person why I never saw the play, I may be able to model blush professionally. The bottom line is that when one is raised in a theatrical town, one develops an involuntary disdain for traveling productions that is, I'm sure, completely unwarranted. Nevertheless, it explains why this FG has experienced all the best theatre of the past 9 years through the pages of The New Yorker. Which is not exactly what Shakespeare, Miller, Wilson or Kushner had in mind. There are plans afoot to ameliorate this situation post haste.

The film version was great - GP is a good actress, I don't care what anyone says, and was wholly believable as a woman in the verge of a nervous breakdown. Tony Hopkins roars like the king of the forest that he is, Jake Gyllenhal held his own, although I was troubled by his resemblance to a Monchichi doll - it's the hairline - and Hope Davis was perfectly annoying as the sleek older sister.

All this reminds me that I never blogged about Crash (the 2004 movie, not David Cronenberg's, although I'm sure it's good in a different way.) SEE IT. It was amazing - moving and raw and knock you off your feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home